DME Internship Benefits
Why intern with the DME team?
Internships with the DME Team provide various benefits to the intern, to the VA, and to Veterans. Here are a few:
Benefits to Interns
- Flexible work hours (10 hours/week, at any desired location so long as the intern has computer access, arranged with the Internship Supervisor, Executive Leadership Team (ELT), and Department Head).
- Teamwork and communication experience in a virtual environment.
- Greater understanding of the perspectives of Veterans and the work of the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Potential for strong letters of recommendations or evaluations for future employment or academic work.
- Opportunity to develop professional communication and project collaboration skills using tools such as Slack and Trello.
- Connections with VA employees.
- Connections with fellow interns of diverse backgrounds all across the country.
Benefits to the VA and Veterans
- VA Staff gain project support and perspective from interns.
- VA Staff have the opportunity to foster intergenerational dialogue by bridging current college students and Veterans.
- VA Staff have an expanded opportunity to serve Veterans by highlighting a more diverse range of Veteran issues and stories.
- VA Staff have the opportunity to develop skills in a new generation of college students and future leaders.
- Veterans see their stories and contributions highlighted.
- Veterans receive informative and helpful content relevant to their needs and experiences.
- Veterans gain an expanded creative range and depth of communications.
Please visit the 2019-2020 Accomplishments page to read examples of how various internship departments have tangibly impacted the VA and Veterans.